Friday, February 24, 2012

Racquetball Friday and FAMUS

Every Friday I play racquetball with a few of the other GTAs. I can't think of a better way to spend Friday afternoon. It's a great stress reliever because you get to hit a ball around a tiny room and it's good exercise.

Today we were pretty even hit-wise. First, Eric hit me in the arm (the really tender back part.) Then I hit Zach in the back. He may have said it was the hardest he had ever been hit. Then Zach hit Eric in the leg. Next I hit Eric in the back of the head (softly this time.) Eric hit Zach in the eye and Zach hit me in the back. I had to leave early to be a guest speaker at FAMUS, and the "fun" probably continued after that.

FAMUS stands for Friday Afternoon Mathematics Undergraduate Seminar. I was asked to be a guest speaker. Basically Ian (another GTA) and I sat in the front of a room full of math undergrads and answered questions about what grad school is like, what a GTA does, why we decided to go to grad school, can you solve this rubik's cube (in 49 seconds no-less), etc.

Note: Today was not a normal Friday. Usually we hit the walls more than each other when playing racquetball. Also this was the first and likely only time I will be a speaker at FAMUS.

No comments:

Post a Comment